|Home|About Hebei|Government|Business|Opening up|Travel|Culture| Site Search 中文
Introduction to Chinese Visa and the Procedure for Visa Application

The Chinese visa authorities may issue a diplomatic, courtesy, service or ordinary visa to a foreigner according to his identity, purpose of visit to China and passport type. The following is an introduction to the ordinary visa and its application procedure:

The ordinary visas consist of eight sub-categories, which are marked with Chinese phonetic letters (D, Z, X, F, L, G, C, J-1 and J-2 respectively).

Visa D: Visa D/Permanent Residence Visa is issued to aliens who are to reside permanently in China. A permanent residence confirmation form shall be required for the application of Visa D. The applicant shall apply to obtain this form, by themselves or through one’s designated relatives in China, from the exit-and-entry department of the public security bureau in the city or the county where he or she applies to reside.

Visa Z: Visa Z/Work Visa is issued to aliens who are to take up posts or employment in China, and to their accompanying family members. To apply for a Visa Z, an Employment License of the People's Republic of China for Foreigners (which can be obtained by the employer in China from the provincial or municipal labor authorities) and a visa notification letter/telegram issued by an authorized organization or company are required.

Visa X: Visa X/Permanent Residence Visa is issued to aliens who come to China for study, advanced studies or job-training for a period of six months or more. To apply for a Visa X, certificates from the receiving unit and the competent authority concerned are required – i.e. Application Form for Overseas Students to China (JW201 Form or JW202 Form), Admission Notice and Physical Examination Record for Foreigners.

Visa F: Visa F/Business Visa is issued to an applicant who is invited to China on a visit, on a study, lecture, business tour, for scientific-technological and cultural exchanges, for short-term refresher courses or for job-training for a period of no more than six months. To apply for a Visa F, the invitation letter from the inviting unit or the visa notification letter/telegram from the authorized unit is required.

Visa L: Visa L/Family Visit Visa is issued to aliens who come to China for sightseeing, visiting relatives or other private purposes. For a tourist applicant, in principle he or she shall evidence their financial capability of covering travelling expenses in China, and, when necessary, provide the air, train or ship tickets to the heading country/region after leaving China. For applicants who come to China to visit relatives, some are required to provide invitation letters from their relatives in China.

Visa G: Visa G/Transit Visa is issued to aliens who transit through China. The applicants are required to show valid visas and on-going tickets to the heading countries/regions.

Visa C: Visa C/Crew Visa is issued to train attendants, air crewmembers and seamen operating international services and to their accompanying family members. To apply for a visa C, relevant documents are required to be provided in accordance with bilateral agreements or regulations of the Chinese side. Visa J-1: Visa J-1/ Resident Journalist Visa is issued to foreign resident correspondents in China.

Visa J-2: Visa J-2/ Visiting Journalists Visa is issued to foreign correspondents who make short trips to China for reporting tasks. The applicants for J-1 and J-2 visas are required to provide a certificate issued by the competent Chinese authorities.

In addition to the above-mentioned documents, an applicant is also required to answer relevant questions and go through the following procedures (with the exception of those stipulated otherwise by agreements):

Provide valid passport or a travel document in lieu of the passport

Fill out a visa application form and provide a recent two-inch, bareheaded and full-faced passport photo.

Paying the visa fee

The overseas Chinese visa authorities are Chinese embassies, consulates, visa offices, the consular department of the Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in HKSAR and other agencies abroad authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China. If a foreigner intends to enter into, exit from or transit through the Chinese territory, he or she shall apply to the above-mentioned Chinese visa authorities for a Chinese visa. For further information, please consult the nearest Chinese visa authorities.

About Hebei  
Opening Up  
Hot Topics  
Info   Special

Zhongmao Haiyue Hotel
Copyright 2009 Hebei China All Rights Reserved
The Official Website of the Hebei Government
Sponsored by Hebei Provincial Government
Constructed by Chinadaily.com.cn